SCCAN Purpose, Activities, and Values
Purpose: To support community-led action in Scotland to address the climate and nature emergency and work for a just, thriving and resilient Scotland.
We do this by:
- Enabling communications across the network e.g. through newsletters, opportunities for members to be part of participatory media projects, events, social media etc.
- Developing and sharing ideas and building capacity in our movement by organising events, gatherings, and trainings related to climate action across the country.
- Being involved with European and worldwide climate action networks and sharing best of practice with our membership
- Inspiring communities by providing online tools for networking, sharing of best practice, and showcasing projects between community groups and beyond.
- Communicating and developing the discourse of community climate action wherever possible including in Scottish Government (through meetings, consultations etc), across social media, through partnering with a wide range of organisations etc.
- Building understanding of the role and potential of communities in climate action within civil society by partnering and collaborating with other Scottish community networks (e.g. through Scottish Community Alliance), public sector, and business.
Our work is also directed by our values:
- Respect for resource limits
- Promotion of inclusivity and social justice
- Attention to individual wellbeing
- Openly sharing our learning and responding to feedback
- Collaborating and looking for synergies
- Being positive and creative